TIm Gray, AKA “TimBiohacker, CEO and Founder of the Health Optimisation Summit, Europe’s largest health conference and speaker at 7th Annual Biohacking Conference.
A major benefit of the pandemic is that the whole globe now understands the importance of biohacking and health optimisation. As Dave Asprey says in his book Super Human, “biohacking is a key way on how to not die.” Regrettably, not everyone knows how simple and effective biohacking can be. If you’re reading this, you probably do know and, if not, read on.
Before all pandemic hell broke loose, I was on a 10 week trip in the U.S. which included five events. First stop was Los Angeles to attend Mindvalley Live with Martin Tobias, CEO of Upgrade Labs. Upgrade Labs is my event partner in the Health Optimisation Summit, and we work super closely to ensure London’s event is super special too. All was looking and sounding good. And then the State of Texas, with California following closely, banned events for over 1,000 people. Oh sh*t! – everyone in the UK said “get home and quick!” I decided not to react—no knee jerk reactions here— and to sit back, observe, and look at the data.
I wasn’t particularly worried for my health as I have pretty much dedicated my life and career to optimising my health and having peak performance.
A major concern was for my colleagues that run events because of the sheer amount of love, blood, sweat, and tears that goes into making this happen for everyone. Yeah, events are logistical nightmares, so changing the date a few weeks before is heavy lift. Big love to the Upgrade Labs Team, especially Rebecca and Miranda.
I continued with my travels and, whilst sharing dinner with colleagues in Austin, I asked two questions “can this be real?” and “what are the odds of it affecting me badly?” My honest thoughts were, yes, it’s real, but the odds are slim.
Fast forward to 2 weeks later. The world was starting to panic. Borders were closing all over so I made the decision to return to London. I have traveled halfway around the world and I’m still cool, calm and relaxed, and it’s because of the following hacks:
START YOUR DAY STRONG
Reset Your Clock:
You reset your circadian clock each day when you get natural light in your eyes, on your skin, or start drinking/feeding (excluding water). Sleep is the single most important thing for us to repair the daily damage we do to our bodies, and for your immune system to keep nasties in check. When you wake, the first thing you should do is open the window, and soak up a few minutes of natural daylight. Most people don’t realise how vital this is for health! On an empty stomach, take some NAC (a precursor to Glutathione) to ensure your detoxification systems are working well.
Hydrate with the good stuff:
Then, and only then; go and brew your Bulletproof Coffee. Whilst it’s brewing (it’s my favourite part of my morning ritual – who’s with me?!) drink a glass of clean (never from the tap!), mineral rich water. I add Totum Sport, as it’s 78 minerals in the right balance for the body to utilise, these minerals support the adrenals first thing, and supports your electrical system before sipping that energy charged, delicious coffee with Brain Octane Oil, Bulletproof Collagen and grass fed butter!
Connect with the earth & reduce inflammation:
With your coffee in-hand, get outside, get your shoes off, connect with the earth. Sit, stand, or lay in the grass! Even better, dip your feet in the sea or a lake if one is nearby. You don’t get any better than that. I know connecting with the earth doesn’t sound very ‘biohacker’ and maybe even a little hippy, but ‘grounding’ is backed by science. A lot of it.
By connecting with the earth, you get free-electrons, which scavenge free-radicals (it’s an antioxidant), which reduces inflammation in the body. It helps your electrical system so much, it’s insane. It makes your blood flow better (this can also be quantified in live-blood analysis). It’s in abundance, it’s free, and it helps the body repair – oh, and it also tells your body roughly what time of day it is, so it helps your circadian rhythm too! Do you remember hearing about coronavirus cytokine storms? Well, it just happens that grounding is the best anti inflammatory known to man…
Turn off the media, and breathe…
After reading a book called “Rich Habits” years ago, I stopped watching the news, stopped reading the papers, deleted all news apps from my phone – and most people thought I was mad. Even super healthy people I know have been sucked into being scared by things that they’ve read in the paper. It’s toxic, it all has an agenda, and we would be much happier without it. If something is important enough, you’ll hear from a designated friend. Instead of spending time on reading the media, try box breathing – 4 seconds breathing in, hold for 4 seconds, breathe out for 4 seconds, keep going for 3-5 minutes. Try this for 2 days, and see how it calms your mind, your body and centres you. You’ll see the world differently, there’ll be no panic, and wish you did it sooner…
My supplement stack for viruses:
I take a whole range of supplements, I’m only going to cover the ones relevant to this pandemic (you’re your usual deficiencies). I highly recommend you use a good search engine to explore these further, they’re just my preferences 😉
• Vitamin C: The ultimate go-to for immunity. I prefer IV, but Liposomal is my second choice. This is also an awesome immune boosting antioxidant, and at times of need (if I start getting a cold or take a flight) I take 1000mg/hour, the rest of the time, for maintenance 1000mg 3 times a day. Works like a charm every time.
• BHT: Viruses can disguise themselves to bypass your immune system without being detected in a lipid envelope. BHT breaks down the virus’s lipid envelope so the immune system can do its job. This is why you need to support the immune (with good food, the right supplements, sunshine and grounding). I take 600mg twice.
• Monolaurin: It comes from coconut oil, and works by disintegrating the lipid envelopes around certain viruses. Including Corona. I take 3g a day, twice.
• Colloidal silver benefits can be experienced as an antiviral for HIV/AIDS, pneumonia, herpes, shingles and warts. It suffocates the virus. I take 6 sprays twice a day.
• Oregano Oil: May prove to be a valuable ally against SARS. A recent in vitro study indicates that the essential oil can destroy human coronavirus, thought to be the pathogen responsible for SARS, and completely stop its replication within 20 minutes of exposure. I take 510mg three times a day. I built up to this dose over 3 weeks, but don’t take for longer than that, or it’ll damage your gut bacteria balance.
• Vitamin D: I don’t need to state how awesome this is for the immune system. I take 10,000IU a day, with vitamin k2 blend
• Sinus Spray with Xylitol & Grapefruit seed extract by Xlear This can strengthen your immune system and help you to detoxify your body whilst flushing bad bacteria and viruses from your sinuses.
• NAC: is a precursor to Glutathione, the “master” antioxidant which also helps your liver break down, and eject toxins. Great for immune support. I take 1200mg twice a day.
• Zinc is a powerful immune supporter which can also stop various viruses from replicating. I take 30mg 3 times a day.
Things are heating up:
If you’re lucky enough to have one near, use a sauna. My preference is an infrared sauna (Clearlight Sauna or Sunlighten are my favourites), and whilst staying in Dallas I used it twice a day, every single day. One of the best ways to strengthen your immune system is through sauna sessions, this due to its ability to raise the body’s temperature, like creating a false fever. Creating a false fever by raising your core temperature helps because when your body spikes a fever, it stimulates immune function and makes the body less habitable for pathogens. I often think of it like cooking and killing the virus whilst your immune system does it’s thing. Sauna every day you can. Sweat the toxins out. Help kill viruses. Meditate in there (without your mobile). Be healthier.
These are just a few of my thoughts, routines and supplements that I take personally, and that work well for me. I urge you to investigate each, and try (where relevant). Please remember, I’m not a medical professional, just a 10 year self-health researcher – that uses Biohacking because it works so well.